Saturday, September 27, 2008

Mark Ryden is my Hero

It is always so titillating to see art that just makes you stop and stare, and just admire work that is so well crafted and thought out. We often go to galleries and see art, lots of art, but it is seldom that you come across work that is just brilliant. I think Mark Ryden is a pretty briliant artist. I came upon the works of Mark Ryden several years ago when I was in California for the first time, and was again delightfully jolted when I saw his works in the Laguna Art Museum this year during the 'In the Land of Retinal Delights: The Juxrapoz Factor' (A sensory stimulating show that left me speechless, and wanting to buy every single artist book that was part of the exhibition). OK back to Mark Ryden, I find his work so beautiful and challenging, some people find it quite eerie and creepy. I guess it all depends on what kind of art you really like and are drawn to. These are some of my favorite pieces from the Tree Show Collection.


'Yoshi' 2007


'Goodbye Bear' 2006


'California Brown Bear' 2006

And my all time favorite of his work is 'The Creatrix' as seen below. I had the pleasure of seeing this masterpiece in person in Laguna, it is think about 8-9 feet high and 5 feet wide, and it is just majestic. The detail and pieces in the work are amazing. It took my breath away, as I observed it for 30 minutes. If you ever have a chance to see Mark Ryden's work I would strongly urge you to go, and experience it.


'The Creatrix' 2005

{all photos are sourced from website of mark ryden}

No comments: