Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Lost Art of PinUp

I love pin up paintings and drawings from the 40's and 50's, it is one of my obsessions. I had a mural of one of Alberto Vargas pin ups sprayed painted in my old studio by a graffiti artist several years ago, that is how much I love the works. They really transcend time, however it has in some ways become a lost art. Newer attempts at making the pin up have come up short of the greatness that is still evident in these pieces of art. I find new attempts to look trashy, almost pronographic, or even cartoonish in some instances. I have had an obsession with the American pin up since I was about 12 years old, and have researched pretty every pin up artist that has ever existed. In my perspective, or more appropriately in my taste my favorite to date is still Alberto Vargas. There is just something about his work, it mesmerizes me, and perhaps it's cause I am a red head too, and he seems to depict them so well. In any case here are some of my favorite pieces of his, if only one day I could own an original of his, I would be the luckiest girl!










{photo source: the pin up files}

No comments: